Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Transitions

The definition of transition is a passage from one form, state, style, or place to another. The past year as an AmeriCorps VISTA at the Community Mediation Center has definitely been a transition for me in all aspects of the definition.

- FORM: Form is usually thought of in the structural sense, but I will approach this dimension of the definition a little different. Most can probably tell, but I bought my first suit for my AmeriCorps VISTA interview. Growing up between a farm in Michigan and the beach in Virginia, did not teach me much about the aspects of business casual attire. Transitioning through AmeriCorps has allowed my closet to take on new, more appropriate form.

- STATE: As a laid-back, beach native, I was never keen on being on time or keeping things organized. I have always worked and played at my own pace, not recognizing the effects of other people and things around me. My experience here at the Center has given me the skill and ability to be organized. Most of the staff members are aware of my dependence on organization, not knowing that this is recent transition from my old ways.

- STYLE: When I first began my journey at the Center, it was funny for me to hear the staff say that they cannot remember how things used to be before they were trained as mediators. Now, only a year later, I feel much of the same. I have been able to use the skills I have learned here, not only in mediation, but in many aspects of my personal life. It is unbelievable for me to think of how quickly this transition has occurred.
- PLACE: I have always enjoyed new places. As a daughter of a now-retired Navy father, I was always ready to pick up and move to new place. Luckily, I was able to stay in Virginia Beach for most of my life, but I was always ready and aware that change could happen anytime. Most recently, I have changed positions, and along with that came relocation. Although hesitant at first, my experience as an AmeriCorps VISTA has enhanced my ability to be flexible and open to change.

Kim Hopwood
Training Coordinator

No comments: