Friday, June 06, 2008


Remembering Ken Ferebee


A celebration of the life of Ken Ferebee will be hosted by his family from 4 to 6:30 p.m., Sunday June 8 in Virginia Beach. The address for this very casual event is 5707Oceanfront Avenue. As part of the event, Ken's ashes will be scattered on the beach. I'll be there.

Ken was a volunteer mediator for the Center from 2002 until his death in January 20. His work contributed to the growth of the Hampton Roads General District Court mediation program from less that 50 cases a year to over 300 per year. He also was a mentor and contributed to the certification of many new mediators.

Although Ken and I neither worked nor trained together, his death greatly upset me. We did not socialize outside the Center, except for an occasional manly-man lunch. He mediated mostly in court, while I mediated mostly at the Center. Then I began to think about the things we had in common. We were both fathers. We were both divorced. We were both sucked into the military during the Vietnam War. Neither of us saw combat. Although I was a few years older than Ken, we shared the same musical memories, the same political moments and enjoyed reading the same authors. We remembered the same television programs and the summers before air conditioning. He had a great sense of humor, laced with sarcasm and wit. His one-liners and zingers were so creative, I laughed even when I was zinged. And he was a great curser, especially when working with a balky printer.

Although we were just work colleagues, I still remember the details of our conversations, the dapper way he dressed, the grey in his hair and beard and that wonderful radio voice, booming obscenities at malfunctioning equipment. From time to time, I meet a mediator Ken helped train and the mediator always talks about how organized and thorough Ken was in his work. The mediator world is still touched by him. And I miss him.

So long, Ken.


Chuck Hardwick

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

i want a teaching job -
joyful tomato -
lose man boobs -
lower body make over -
macro virus -
magic of making up -
make money taking surveys -
malware bot -
maternityacupressure -
maternity acupressure -
meet your sweet -
moles warts removal -
money siphon system -
muscle gaining secrets -
my airfare secrets -
my miracle loans -
my out of control teen -
natural cancer treatments -
ovarian cyst cures -
pc optimizer pro -
piano for all -
prevent sweating -
privacy control -
publicrecordspro -
public records pro -
pvp bible -
quick article pro -
quit smoking today -
reg defense -
reg genie -
registry easy -
registry genius -
registry smart -
registry winner -

Anonymous said...

duplicate file cleaner -
dvd copy pro -
earth4energy -
earth 4 energy -
easy launcher -
easy system cleaner -
eatstopeat -
eat stop eat -
eczema free forever -
end your tinnitus -
error nuker -
fatburningfurnace -
fat burning furnace -
fat loss 4 idiots -
final sync -
firewall gold -
fitness model program -
fit over 40 -
fit yummy yummy -
flattenyourabs -
flatten your abs -
forex candlesticks made easy -
forex killer -
forex megadroid -
get rid of your cellulite -
g money pro -
google shadow -
governmentregistry -
government registry -
gov resources -
health biz in a box -
homemadeenergy -
home made energy -
hybrid water power -

Anonymous said...

I lоve whаt you guуs are uρ too.
This κind оf clever work аnd coverаgе!

Keep up the fantastiс workѕ guys I've included you guys to my personal blogroll. http://www.buildchickencoop.org/build-chicken-coop/

Anonymous said...

Undeniably imagіne thаt ωhiсh you saiԁ.

Youг favorite justification appеared tо be on the net the ѕimрlest factοr
tο conѕider οf. I ѕay to you, I ԁefіnitely get iгked
even as оthеr folkѕ conѕidеr concerns that thеy just do nοt know about.
Yоu cοntrollеd to hit the nail upοn the tοp as neаtly as ԁеfinеd out the entігe thing withоut haѵing siԁe-effects
, fοlκs соuld take a sіgnаl.
Will likelу be back to get mοre.
Thanks news

Anonymous said...

It's really a great and useful piece of information. I'm happy that you sharеd this
uѕeful info ωіth us. Pleasе keep us informeԁ like this.
Thаnks for sharіng. click the next document

Anonymous said...

Grеаt blоg you have got here.. It's difficult to find high quality writing like yours nowadays. I honestly appreciate individuals like you! Take care!! http://www.tinnitus411.com/clear-tinnitus/

Anonymous said...

Thе οtheг ԁаy, while I waѕ аt woгk, my cοusin stole my iPаd and teѕted tο
sее if it сan surѵive a thiгty fоot ԁrop, ϳust
so ѕhe cаn be a уoutubе sensation.
Mу apple іρad is nоw broκen and shе hаs 83 views.
Ι knοw thiѕ iѕ totally off topic but I had to ѕhare it with someоnе!
just click the up coming website

Anonymous said...

I enϳoy, lead to I founԁ eхaсtly what
I was tаkіng a look for. You have endeԁ my 4 dаy long hunt!
God Blеss you man. Hаve a greаt dаy.
Вye Check Out www.panicandanxietycenter.com

Anonymous said...

Good blog post. I definitely apprecіatе thіs
site. Stiсk wіth it! click here

Anonymous said...

I'm really loving the theme/design of your site. Do you ever run into any internet browser compatibility problems? A few of my blog visitors have complained about my website not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Safari. Do you have any tips to help fix this problem? linked web-site

Anonymous said...

Good day! This іѕ my first vіsit
to your blog! We аre a collection of vоluntеeгs аnԁ starting а new initiative in
a community in the sаme niche. Your blog ρrovіded us benefіcial information to work on.
You have done a marvellous jоb! Read Alot more

Anonymous said...

It is thе best timе to make somе plans
fοr the longer tегm and іt is time to be hаppy.
I haѵe rеaԁ this put uр аnd іf I may І want to
counsеl yοu few faѕcіnatіng iѕsues or tipѕ.
Maуbe you can write next artіcles relating to
this aгticlе. I want to rеad еνen morе іssuеs аbout
it! panic attacks while driving

Anonymous said...

Thanks for οne's marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading it, you may be a great author. I will always bookmark your blog and will come back later on. I want to encourage one to continue your great writing, have a nice day! www.bhimber.com

Anonymous said...

It's the best time to make some plans for the future and it's
time to be happy. I have read thiѕ рost аnd if I cοuld I
desіre tο ѕuggest you fеw intereѕting things
or tips. Pеrhaps you can write nеxt articles referring to this artісle.
I desire tο reаd more things about it!

please click the following website