Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Visiting New Orleans

From November 13-17 I was in New Orleans as part of my Americorps training. In addition to going through lectures and training sessions on what it takes to be an Americorps volunteer (which was somewhat boring, although there were a few good speakers), the other trainees and I took time to visit some of the sites hit hardest by Katrina.

New Orleans is one of the saddest yet most beautiful places I’ve ever been. While there we were able to visit areas that were severely impacted by the storm and the people who were still there. After fourteen months, many people are still unable to return to their homes because of the damage from the storm and inadequate reconstruction efforts. I felt like I was visiting a third world country; the devastation was disgusting.

Additionally, the “in your face” racism and segregation was hard to swallow. We visited the home of former Klan member David Duke and were reminded by the guide that in his Senate race he received over 30% of the states’ vote. There are laws in counties that are over 70% white that only allow residents to rent out to blood relatives. New Orleans was “bad” before, but now it’s even worse, and so few people care. By the end of the week I was physically and emotionally exhausted.The sites we were able to visit left me with feelings of hope and despair. I don’t know if I’ll ever get over the images I saw or feelings I felt, but I feel like this trip has changed me forever.

Heather Mathews
Americorps Member

1 comment:

pcapostate said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.