Monday, August 07, 2006

Mediation skills are universally applicable

You never know when mediation skills will come in handy. On an almost daily basis in my family I use my reflecting, empathy and good listening skills to try and squash arguments, resolve misunderstandings and clarify information to help make decisions.

I have found that children quickly catch on to using I-messages. For example I told my four-year-old son (who had not put his shoes on after I asked him way too many times) "I feel fustrated when you don't listen to me." Later on he told his brother (who was ignoring him in the car)"I feel fuss-stated when you don't listen to me."

Don't forget your mediation skills in your everyday life. You don't have to save them for the mediation room, they work wonders everywhere.

Sara Foote

No comments: