Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The Passion of Conflict Mediation

Conflict Resolution is something that requires passion. Here's what I mean: Growing up in this American culture we are not taught to be effective communicators or good listeners. Usually, our goal is to win and therefore we are considering our own response while others are speaking to us. What a difference it can make to use paraphrasing and reflective listening! However, using these tools is a choice - one that requires a steadfast diligence. It is surprising the number of changes that would occur in this world if we were taught from the start to use reflective listening and I-messaging. Plus, when you "do" conflict resolution people often look to you for answers. If I had a nickel for every time someone said "mediate me," I would be rich! The point here is that once you know and use the skill there is no down time, no time to turn it off. That's why it takes passion - to keep up the pace. Sure, you can set boundaries or opt out of a conversation, but deep down people that know and use conflict resolution and effective communication skills have a duty to change the world. At the Community Mediation Center, staff and volunteers change the world every day. Yes, I get tired, but when I look around at the faces of training participants, or when I read the testimonies of mediation clients, my passion gets refilled.

Amanda Burbage
Community Outreach Director

No comments: